Tunisian crochet creates a unique fabric that is often thicker and denser than traditional crochet. Known for its knit-like look, this particular style requires specialty Tunisian crochet hooks. Different from traditional single-ended crochet hooks, they are often longer to accommodate stitches on the hooks. The length can be attained with longer hooks or handy interchangeable cords. This unique design is the reason that the crochet style works like knitting; you keep the stitches on the hooks and then work them in the next row. Like knitting, the craft has a knit and purl stitch along with double crochet stitches. Even the basic Tunisian crochet stitches create a fabric that looks beautiful for all kinds of projects. This summer, try out this fascinating craft and create wonderful projects.
Before you begin, gather your supplies.
- Tunisian crochet hooks (size H/5mm or preferred size). You can also choose a size that matches the yarn (mentioned on the label) or a pattern (if you are following one). working with a crochet hook, one or two sizes bigger is often recommended for an open fabric that lays still at the edges. For the cord, choose a length that accommodates the stitches comfortably. For Tunisian crochet in the round, the requirement of the cord length changes
- Worsted-weight cotton yarn in the color of your choice. You can get a skein of your favorite yarn or use a yarn stash leftover from previous projects.
- Craft accessories - Scissors, finishing needle, stitch markers and knit-out box.
Here are five Tunisian crochet patterns that are perfect for beginners to try out this summer:
1. Tunisian Crochet Coasters
Coasters are a great beginner project, and Tunisian crochet is perfect for creating thick, sturdy coasters. Use a bright cotton yarn to create a set of summery coasters that will add a pop of color to your patio table. If you are not sure about working with a lot of colors, follow our guide on how to change color in Tunisian crochet.
Here's how to work a quick Tunisian crochet coaster:
- Make a foundation chain of 16 stitches.
- Insert the hook from right to left under the back vertical bar of the second chain from the hook, yarn over and pull up a loop (keep this loop on the hook).
- Repeat the previous step for each chain until the end of the row (you should have 16 loops on your hook).
- To return, yarn over and pull through 1 loop, then yarn over and pull through 2 loops at a time until you reach the end of the row (1 loop should remain on the hook).
- Work the following rows in TSS until the coaster measures approximately 4 inches (10cm) square.
- Bind off the last row as follows:
- Insert the hook under the back vertical bar of the first stitch, yarn over and pull through both loops on the hook.
- Repeat the previous step for each stitch until the end of the row.
- Cut the yarn and weave in the ends with a finishing needle.
Repeat the process to create additional coasters in the same or different colors.
2. Tunisian Crochet Headband
A headband is another easy project that's perfect for summer. Use a lightweight cotton yarn to create a comfortable, breathable headband that will keep your hair out of your face on hot days.
Work with any of the basic Tunisian crochet stitches of your choice.
Continue working TSS for each row until your headband reaches the desired width. Be sure to keep your tension consistent to ensure an even fabric.
Bind off your Tunisian crochet headband by working a slip stitch in each stitch across the final row.
Fold the headband in half with the wrong sides together, then use any of your regular single-ended crochet hooks to slip stitch the two ends together. Cut your yarn and weave in the ends with a tapestry needle.
Your Tunisian crochet headband is now complete!
3. Tunisian Crochet Market Bag or Purse
A market bag is a useful and stylish accessory for trips to the farmer's market or the beach. Use a sturdy cotton yarn to create a bag that can hold all of your summer essentials. Tunisian crochet is a great technique for creating sturdy, durable fabrics, making it an excellent choice for creating a market bag. Follow our guide on how to knit and purl stitches in Tunisian crochet for a knitting-like effect.
- First, make a foundation row of chain stitches. Next, work the forward pass in any basic Tunisian crochet. To do this, yarn over and pull through the first loop on your hook, then yarn over and pull through two loops on your hook at a time until you reach the end of the row.
- Work the return pass of your Tunisian crochet. To do this, yarn over and pull through one loop on your hook, then yarn over and pull through two loops on your hook at a time until you reach the end of the row.
- Create the bag handles in your final row. Then, chain a length that is comfortable for carrying your bag over your shoulder, skip the remaining stitches and continue working across the remaining stitches in the row.
- Bind off your Tunisian crochet market bag by working a slip stitch in each stitch across the final row.
- Fold the bag in half with the right sides together, then use a regular crochet hook to slip stitch the two sides together. Cut your yarn and weave in the ends.
Your Tunisian crochet market bag is now complete!
4. Tunisian Crochet Dishcloths
Dishcloths are a practical and easy project that's perfect for beginners. Use a soft cotton yarn to create a set of durable, reusable dishcloths that will help you cut down on waste this summer.
Just like your coasters, this project can be easily constructed. You just need to make a square or rectangle. Given the sturdy fabric created it is useful for many reasons. If you are learning a new stitch pattern or technique, this project gives you enough practice.
5. Tunisian Crochet Shawl
A lightweight shawl is the perfect accessory for cool summer evenings. Use a soft, airy yarn to create a shawl that will keep you cozy without weighing you down. Following a pattern is recommended so that you can make a creative project. If you are planning your own, you can work with a rectangle pattern or a triangle or any other shape. If you are confident with making a dishcloth or a coaster, you can work this pattern with different lengths.
These Tunisian crochet patterns are easy to follow and perfect for beginners. With a little practice, you'll be able to create unique and beautiful crochet items to enjoy all summer long. With the Lantern Moon collection, explore the premium crochet hooks, knitting needles and accessories. Made from ebony wood, the tools and accessories have a silk-like finish that allows yarn to glide easily. Handcrafted by skilled artisans, Lantern Moon products are here to serve generations of artisans. For your Tunisian crochet needs, explore the Bequest Set of interchangeable Tunisian crochet hooks!